10.10.2010

Community Helpers

My son's Pre-K teacher asked me to visit during community helper week and talk about librarians. Having absolutely no practice in teaching, library or lesson plan creation, I will give it my best shot! Here is my plan (I will update after the fact with what I actually did).

Books to Read:
Beverly Billingsly Borrows a Book




***Beverly Billingsly Borrows a Book by Alexander Stadler - Beverly visits the library for the first time, gets her very own library card and checks out a book.  She really enjoys the book until she realizes it is overdue.  Oh no!  She is worried she will be in big trouble.

Book! Book! Book!





Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss - The farm animals are sad when school starts and the children aren't around to play.  So they head to the library to find something to do.


The Library Gingerbread Man  ***The Library Gingerbread Man by Dotti Enderle -The Gingerbread Man hops out of his place in the library and is chased by characters from all around the Dewey Decimal System.  What will happen when an Arctic Wolf from the 998 section offers to help?  {{gulp!}}

No T. Rex in the Library  No T. Rex in the Library by Toni Buzzeo - Tess learns how to behave in the library by explaining the rules to an unruly T. Rex.

But Excuse Me That is My Book (Charlie and Lola)  ***But Excuse Me That is My Book by Lauren Child - Lola has a favorite book at the library and is sad when someone else has it.  Her big brother Charlie helps her find new favorite books.

Library Lion Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen - When a lion visits the library, the librarian says he can stay as long as he follows the rules.  But sometimes rules need to be broken.


While I probably won't read these two, they will be helpful to me to make sure I tell the kids everything I need to.
Working at the Library (21st Century Junior Library) Working at the Library (21st Century Junior Library) by Katie Marsico

We Need Librarians (Helpers in Our School) by Jane Scoggins Bauld

I plan to show them some other items that can be found at the library, such as movies and books on CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment